7.2.08

Why Stress? Delegate

OR: I've been taking gross advantage of my momma lately. ... But I think she likes it.

So yeah, I've had a lot going on with school and work and what have you lately. Plus, however much I gripe and moan about not sleeping enough on here, the fact is with my warped schedule when I actually DO have time to sleep I find that I'm not mentally prepared to: I get all anxious and can't.

But on the bright side, my mother is easily obtained to delegate tasks to when they're stressing me out. For example: Taxes. Seeing as how I didn't file for taxes last year until August or September, I know you all must be surprised that I'm filing early this year. But that's only because I haven't been making my tuition payments on time this semester and needed the cash to get caught up. Smooth. Buuuuut I just haven't had time to figure out the whole turbotax program and what have you, and as much as I heart H&R Block, so long as there's nothing horribly wrong with your taxes (eg, you're filing way late and haven't filed the year preceding and have multiple states, etc.) you might as well save your money and do it yourself. Sooooo I dropped a few hints and delegated to my all-too-willing momma.

And then there was the 50 year old women in several of my nursing classes going back to school because she's in the middle of an icky divorce and well.. you know... life changes. It'd been quite a while since she'd written a paper. So right, after draft 3 I was running out of time to do revisions and supposed to meet her again after class to go over it again. And there was mom. Soooo I told her my classmates sob story and soon enough I had delegated AGAIN and mom was revising her paper as I showered, brushed my teeth, and got ready for class. Excellent. She made all the same revisions I would have- and was more pleasant about it than I would have been, nonetheless.

So here is the question, really. My mom is willing to do these things for me, and it gives us things to talk about and what have you. Yet... I am technically taking advantage of her kindness. Then again... think of how many people you know who would be better off if they let their mothers do a thing or two for them. Everyone would be happier. Mom's like to help. Then again.... usery. Interesting conundrum.

Either I'm rather wise or heinously selfish.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kay Pea said...

You are very wise. I have found that women, particularly the Gentile women like to be needed. Nay, LONG to be needed. they like when we delegate tasks to them because they feel like they are helping us (which they are) and they dont think twice about...HOWEVER...I'm sure knowing them its only a matter of time before they use it against us later...hahaha.

Thu Feb 07, 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I agree: you are wise. The person who knows when to ask for help is a rare one, and believe me, your Mom might even feel she's doing EVERYONE a favor, including you, because uber-stressed out Mags probably = no-fun Mags.

(Also, it's not as if you're lying on the couch, channel surfing and screaming at her to finish your laundry, dammit, you've got a party to get to. She's doing a thing here and there to lighten your load when you're getting to the limit!)

(And, what AsianKP said. You will probably hear about it later. I recommend a way cool Mother's Day gift...not something you buy, because tuition, money, etc. as you said, but, like, a letter or a poem in the shape of a hot fudge sundae about how cool she is...? ;P) <-- that's my tongue in my check, BTW.

Fri Feb 08, 12:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger