18.9.07

Back by popular ambivalence...

So I'm not to sure whether I'll get back to posting on any kind of a regular basis but that is the goal. Meanwhile... random facts about the deployment so far. By the numbers.

3: things I have run over/into while driving a HMMWV
1: things I have run over/into while driving a HMMWV and awake
0: number of the above that were small children (just in case you were worried)
73: letters I have received from my awesome and infinitely patient girlfriend
5.2: average number of packages I've been receiving every mail day recently
resulting in...
2 types of rubber ducks in my collection
6 cans of silly string
13 reserve toothbrushes
and by the way...
3: months dentists recommend you use a toothbrush before replacing it
9: months I have in which to use these toothbrushes
57: minimum number of children who have asked me for a soccer ball
3.8: average number of times an Iraqi child will ask you for a soccer ball before giving up and moving to the next vehicle in your convoy
0: number of soccer balls given to Iraqi children by anyone in my platoon
0.0: average number of soccer balls I have hidden in my pocket at any given time while on patrol
10: minutes until the MWR closes for an hour for cleaning.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger mags said...

Ha ha! What a lovely surprise!!

I mean... I'm TOTALLY ambivalent about it... but y'know...

So rubber duckies, huh? I didn't even know you were into that... And when you say "types" I mean... is that just refering to size/color or am I horribly ignorant about rubber duckies.

Tue Sep 18, 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger Lagartija said...

I am just sitting here laughing to myself at the thought of a bunch of army guys frolicking and giggling while they squirt each other with silly string and squeak their rubber duckies at each other. Is that an accurate depiction of what goes on?

Tue Sep 18, 01:58:00 PM  
Blogger Lagartija said...

I'm still laughing out loud!

Tue Sep 18, 01:59:00 PM  
Blogger phil said...

Maybe "indifference" would have been a better word but I just like "ambivalence" so much better. And as to the rubber duckies, you sent me one of them so you shouldn't be so surprised.

Lagartija- sadly, neither of my duckies squeak. But yes, frolicking and giggling are among our favorite activities, and if we have to make the squeaking sounds ourselves that's not going to stop us.

Wed Sep 19, 07:10:00 AM  
Blogger Kay Pea said...

nice to see phil back in action. btw...i'm obsessed with military acronyms...my favorite right now is FUBAR. i try to use at least 50 times a day.
do you need soccer balls to complement your rubber duckies?

Wed Sep 19, 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger mags said...

Haha! MWR is morale, wellness and recreation, by the way. I asked Phil on the phone last night.

Oh... but Phil... are you SURE I sent you a rubber duckie?? How am I not remembering this? What possibly could have possessed me? Are you messing with me...??

Wed Sep 19, 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger phil said...

kp: no.

mags: yes. you didn't know. ditto. no.

Wed Sep 26, 07:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger