20.12.07

Highschool Poetry Meme

Okay, so quite a bit ago, asiankp tagged me for a meme. The rules for this meme are as follows:

1. Find a poem (or two, if you're ambitious) that you wrote in high school. If you can't find a poem, find a piece of prose. If you can't find a piece of prose, find a history paper or something.

2. Post it!

3. Tag a few people to do the same.

It has taken me quite a while to find something as none of the computers we had in highschool are still in existence, and I didn't put much attention into saving things of that sort. Also, I had a situation where I got all out-of-hand and burnt my huge box full of old journals, letters, poems, stories, etc. in highschool (I used to write a good 2-3 hours every night- couldn't sleep), so not much has survived the years. I did, however, after a good deal of digging around on hardrives and boxes come up with a number of old papers and a couple of poems, including this one from February 23, 1999. I'm a little embarassed about it, but I guess that's what this meme's all about, eh? So here goes:

Dance with the Devil

Tempestuous nature of forbidden fruit
You whisper foreboding whilst attraction takes root
Purity cries out, while it’s pulling me in
Yet dark impulse swirls forth, beckoning sin
The vigilant guard of a conscience arisen
Societal guilt erects ethical prison

To lose the chains truly, you must see them first
Just then can you slake this unbearable thirst
Government quails and imprisons the free
Barring the doors, through which you could once see
The gates to redemption with impulse released
To quieted mind when repression has ceased

This portal still beckons; you’ll then know the way:
By all mores and false gods that hold sway
Think new ideas, dissident thoughts
Curse all the lies that you had always sought
Take trips through your mind, forget all these tears
Realize that society created your fears

You say this to me, with a tilt of your chin
You say “dance through the darkness and emerge free of sin”
Yet when you dance with the devil sin holds the soul
So refrain from these larks and then regain control
You know what is right, the values you hold
Remember the truth and the rest will unfold

I don’t tell you you’re evil, I don’t tell you you’re blind
You say my morals aren’t right or wrong- simply mine
Yet regardless of age, education or class
Ethics should not be viewed through this cold, tinted glass
The glass of opinion, of bias and time
Which labels my beautiful blessing a crime

So, right. That's the kind of poetry I was spewing out as a 16 year old.

I'd like to tag: the Natural Inquirer, Rayna, Krista, and Erin to share their own.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

I am not ignoring your tag, but I can't find anything I wrote in High School. I remember throwing alot of my handwritten stuff away... and I don't think we have the hard drives of the computers I used. I only have stuff to offer from under 10 years old, or college. Good poem by the way!

Sat Dec 22, 02:36:00 PM  
Blogger mags said...

Under 10 years old works?

Sat Dec 22, 04:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger