18.2.07

Gramma's Ring

So my mom finally found the ring my Grandma left to her when she passed away last fall that's been lost all this time.

I think I should have it.

Okay, so I don't have a much of an argument for why I should have it other than that it fits me, looks nice on my hand, and I totally love it. But hey, just cuz I don't have all the answers doesn't me I'm wrong! Well, I guess there is a LITTLE more to it than that. I'd appreciate it the most, and it's just going to sit in a box in some drawer otherwise. Just because it's valuable doesn't mean it shouldn't be used, does it? What's the point in having nice things if you don't get to enjoy them? Besides, I've always wanted to be a jewelry kind of girl but never could justify spending money on something so frivolous. That and it's an HEIRLOOM. Do you have any idea how many things of my grandparents are in my house simply because they used to belong to my grandparents and I'm crazy about such things. I love heritage. I love using things around that have a story, that have meaning beyond their immediate purpose. This, I believe, makes me a prime candidate for the possesorship of the ring. She can still OWN it, so long as I can wear it. And perhaps this doesn't outweigh the fact that it was left to my mother, not me, long before Grams even died, but my mom doesn't even LIKE this ring and even went so far as to talk about maybe having it appraised, disassembled, and made into earrings and a necklace. ?!?!???? And some spluttering is all I have to say about that.

At any rate, some sort of compromise was made. She says I can wear it whenever I come over to their house and she'll consider leaving it to me when she dies. Small consolation, in my opinion. Now's when I want it and will appreciate it most, and I'm not over there THAT often! I wonder if it's just a lure to get me to come over more often... Either way, I guess it's something. Maybe I'll still talk her into it yet.

Everybody say a prayer she doesn't destroy something so precious in the meantime. :P

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger