2.2.07

Over-easy eggs

So my brother Matt and I go through a lot of eggs. I mean seriously, they're high in protein and dirt cheap. I'm a big fan of over-easy eggs with a slice of hearty wheat toast, but the problem is over-easy eggs are pretty hard not to butcher. In fact, fried eggs in general are pretty hard to do and not break the yolk or have them look ugly, unless you're doing them over-well and don't have good tasteor sense in the matter. So Matt, my resident egg-guru has instructed me in the art of frying my eggs, and I think I can safely say I've finally mastered it.

I'd like to share the process with you so you can also be competent eggs preparers and never have to be embarrassed by having to serve someone a misshapen, yolk-broken, nasty fried egg. It's quick, it's easy, it's difficult not to do right, and results in perfect fried eggs every time.

First, you preheat your pan and spray it with no-stick cooking spray. You want it hot, the burner should be on 7 or 8, and the egg should sizzle when you drop it in.

Second, once you drop your egg in and it's sizzling, drop the heat down to three or four. Immediately following this drop a few tablespoons water in the pan all at once and cover it up with a metal lid/cover right away. The steam from the water trapped under the lid makes the whites of the egg frost over the yolk, cooking it through and through without leaving slime on top, and also making it so you don't have to flip it and risk breaking the yolk or damaging it's shape.

It should cook in just less than a minute for a perfect over-easy egg, and slightly more for over-medium. If you want them over-well, I have nothing to say to you other than quit wasting eggs. You might as well hard-boil them. Anyways.

That's all I have to say on that, I wish you luck in all your egg-cooking endeavors.

As a side note, as of this afternoon I've officially mastered the art of making chicken/shrimp fried rice. Lemme know if you need any pointers.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I, personally, am partial to poaced-egg-on-sprouted-wheat toast, but, I never said no to a Joe-Ferrier Fried Egg. MMMMMM! I'll never say no to a Mags-fried egg, either.

Sat Feb 03, 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger SomethingInMyEye said...

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but I just recently discovered that eggs have a shitload of cholesterol. I think it's 83% RDA for one or two eggs. Alan loves eggs though. He's got a great fried-egg "recipe" where you cut a circle out of a piece of bread w/ a cup and then butter the bread and put it in a frying pan and crack an egg into the hole & fry it. It's delicious!

Sat Feb 03, 07:08:00 PM  
Blogger mags said...

My mom used to do that when we were little! It was like... the "I'm a really special kid cuz my egg is built into my toast surprise!!" breakfast. I'd forgotten all about that.

But anyways, at least that cholesterol only tagged $0.84/12 onto my grocery bill, Debbie! :) Just don't eat them every day.

Sat Feb 03, 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Kay Pea said...

can i get a laminated copy of these words of wisdom...

Sun Feb 04, 01:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger