21.8.08

Biting Gum

So one of my Dementors bit me this morning. I still have a mark HOURS later. I mean, I know she's usually unpleasant in the morning (an unfortunate side-effect of her dementia), but seriously, I did NOT see that one coming. I was helping her get dressed and she just CHOMPED down on me with no warning, and HARD. I was so suprised I was laughing before I even managed to get her to release her bite. I'm sure part of that was being surprised, but I think the main reason was because of this stupid "Orbit Gum" commercial...

... All I could think about was targeting those deep dark fears of the baby boomers, "For stronger teeth, so you can better fend for yourself when your friends are dead, your children have abandoned you, and you're all alone in a nursing home!"

I know, pretty terrible. And it's REALLY not that bad. But you know the stereotypes. And exploiting the fears based on shaky stereotypes (are there any other kind?) can be oh-so-entertaining... entertaining enough to mask the pain of a set of dentures chomping down full-force on your wrist, even...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

I am sorry you got an owie Mags! I hope you are feeling better. On another note, I am glad you are posting again, I was starting to wonder WHERE THE HECK YOU WERE. So welcome back.

Fri Aug 22, 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Symetrus said...

Is that Jan from the Office?

Tue Aug 26, 04:49:00 PM  
Blogger mags said...

Negative. Jan doesn't cry.

She DOES chew Orbit Gum, however...

Wed Aug 27, 11:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger