28.4.08

Racial Dialogue

Lately I've been learning some interesting tidbits from my black coworkers at the nursing home about things that are culturally different between us. For example:

1. Black women wear brown, black, or purple panties underneath white pants/skirts so that their panties don't show through. Makes perfect sense. But that NEVER would have occured to me. Please don't ask how it came up.

2. When a black woman says "He favors so-and-so," don't be confused and think that it's a matter of social preference, because then she'll think you're an idiot. (Sigh. I'm such an idiot.) "Favors" in this context means "resembles."

3. Black hair is incredibly difficult to style, but once styled far easier to maintain. Also, it needs to be washed WAY WAY WAY less. Apparently this is because it's easier for oil/grease from your scalp to slide down a relatively straight/finer hair shaft than it is down a kinky-curly/coarse hair shaft, making split ends and moisture deficits more of an issue for them, and greasy hair more of an issue for us. This I knew. I guess I'm not really communicating the new knowledge I've learned, because I just realized it's too hard to explain hair styling for someone with as limited experience as I have. I'm not really into all that girly crap. I'm on top of things if I remember to brush it. I bought my first bottle of hairspray in around a decade a couple months ago and have hardly used it a half-dozen times. So much for that.

4. White girls often interact by talking lovey or flirting with each other. At least this is what I have observed, and what has been my experience- maybe I have creepy female friendships. This is not appropriate with any of the black women I work with. I've attempted to bond with some of the ones I'm closer to in this manner and they looked at me like I was crazy and I had to very frankly explain, no, I am not in fact a lesbian or in any way posing a threat to your sexuality-- I was just messing around and trying to bond with you. Then they thought I was even crazier.

5. The black women I work with seem to be vehemently opposed to interracial mixing, to the point where I would never DARE mention to the majority of them that I've dated black men in their presence for fear of being shunned or causing tensions in the workplace. I don't know if this is common, but it's incredibly pronounced with the women at work. I was talking to one woman who I'm closer friends with and it came up, and she told me point blank that she found interracial mixing offensive and even went so far to admit that it wasn't just on a sexual level, and when she told her sister she was going out to breakfast with me after work, her sister was affronted and asked her what the hell she thought she was doing hanging out with me. She said it was hard for her not to be embarrassed when her family all saw her being dropped off by her white girl friend. I was baffled by this. And honestly, it kinda hurt my feelings a little. Whatcha gonna do.

6. Okay, I don't know if this one is normal either, but let's talk about those head scarves that some black women wear. I had no idea, but apparently it's not just a fashion statement-- it's quasi-"political," kind of a flashback to how female slaves used to wear them on their heads in the fields. Our black supervising nurse said something to a black coworker about how she should not wear her headscarf in the building because it was inflammatory. I didn't see how it was in any way an issue- it was a floral print scarf, for goodness sake!- and asked her what on earth she meant. And apparently it's supposed to be reminiscent of slavery days, reminding people of the oppressiveness of their cultural heritage. She explained it as kind of like a "fuck you" (sorry) to white supremicists. I guess that while the younger generation (I'm assuming I'm not the only naive one) isn't aware, it's a bigger issue for all the racist old people at the nursing home and they find it offensive as there are lots of very racist old people (though some of them remember to try not to be openly). It was weird. I felt naive.

Okay, that's all I got. I wonder if this is a weird post. Is it not PC to talk about cultural differences? Hmmm. Dunno. Don't care. I thought it was interesting.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Lagartija said...

As far as the interracial mixing and not wanting her to be friends with a white girl, do they even realize how incredibly PO'd they would be if YOU had said the same thing? It would have been MAJOR. ??? And what are the objections that go beyond sexual?

Mon Apr 28, 01:13:00 PM  
Blogger mags said...

Dude, what are the objections even with the sexual aspect of interracial mixing?? It's all crazy emotional talk if you ask me; it doesn't MAKE sense.

Mon Apr 28, 03:38:00 PM  
Blogger Maximilian said...

What would a chapped ass feel like?

I know what chapped lips feel like.

Hmm..

Also, people are dumb, especially when they feel entitled. We can thank Mr. Al Sharpton and Mr. Jesse Jackson for a little bit of that, but then again, I don't feel they deserve the credit.

Let's just have parts of America break off and let each race get a portion proportional to the number of people legally living in the country, and that way, we can stop fighting, except internationally, which would be much more pleasant, since it wouldn't even get coverage on the evening news.

Does that sound fair to everyone?

I'm not a racist... just a culturalist, and I think there are two big ones in this country I could do without. One involves rap, and one involves the mexican polka.

Was that too ridiculous?

Tue Apr 29, 11:34:00 PM  
Blogger mags said...

Hmmm.

C'mon, guys. The goal was "racial DIALOGUE" (note the title), not racial tension perpetuation. I dunno. Maybe sharing the part about mixing was asking for it on my part. I didn't mean for it to turn into something like this. I was just musing and being kinda silly and tangental about social issues that I actually take pretty seriously and are directly impacting my life right now.

I guess that while I see the logical inconsistency in it, I see no cause to dwell on it much. I've talked to other people about it since then and said exactly what Liz just did, and they conceded the inconsistency. But we're not just talking about what people think here, we're talking about how they feel. And I'm sure we can all admit that we have inconsistencies and inappropriate/illogical feelings regarding certain issues as well-- and this particular one for blacks seems like a pretty natural response to me, given the kind of shit they have to deal with on a regular basis.

Fri May 02, 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger Maximilian said...

Feelings inconsistent with reason!

NEVER!

Also, I posted something I just realized is kind of relevant to that on my blog... and well... maybe you could tell me what you think.

Sun May 04, 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger mags said...

With pleasure... (and sadness)...

Sun May 04, 04:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger