27.2.08

It seems to me that a lot is said about the state of modern society by the very existence -- to say nothing of how common it is-- of the phrase "professional help." That it's considered normal to go out and buy a shoulder to cry on, or a listening ear; to rent a wise friend; to put some fair-minded relationship advice on the credit card; to purchase a guided tour of the depths of your soul and your deepest fears.
I'm a big fan of capitalism, y'know. Me and capitalism, we go way back. In this case though, I have ask, "hasn't it gone a little too far? Aren't there some things that don't belong on the open market? Should these things really be subject to the laws of supply and demand?" Now it could be argued that capitalism has improved help just like it improves everything else it touches -- that by making it a profession, by inducing competition, capitalism has made help more available, more effecicent and more effective. I'm also well aware that many people (including some that I know) have found the help industry to be, well... helpful. Still, I don't think that I'm saying that I wish they were left to deal with things alone -- or that I'm abandoning my good old favorite economic system -- when I say that I think there's something pretty essentially wrong with "professional help."

4 Comments:

Blogger greymom said...

Wow, Maggie let me read her blog...

While I enjoyed Phil's comments about "professional help" and capitalism I have a couple comments..I do agree that there is sometimes too great a tendency to turn to professional help and perhaps even more unfortunately, to accept professional advice unquestioningly, there are some situations where it is definitely needed. Many times, there may also be a need for medication as well.

Even if not, a person may be very uncomfortable discussing their concerns with family or close friends...and those people are often too close to the situation (or perhaps part of the problem) to be able to help constructively.

This also brings up another related issue that often bothers me. Because of the privacy laws, it is difficult for family and friends to sometimes be involved in the treatment, especially if the person needing help is reticent to share their problems. How to solve this problem, I don't know. And this is where Phil has a point...we should be more sensitive to others problems and cares, offering that 'shoulder to cry on' and maybe in doing this we will be less absorbed by our problems which will make our load lighter too. So, now I think I have written myself around in a circle...I'll end... Nancy (Maggie's mom)

Wed Feb 27, 03:37:00 PM  
Blogger Danny Boy said...

I think that professional help, sounds better than unprofessional help, or even amateur help.

I think the problem is what difficulties require what degree of response. It seems that it has become the habit of most med and psych professionals to diagnose and throw medicine at problems that could be as easily with some therapy, or lifestyle change.

It probably is indeed a side-effect of a capitalistic society, that problems are dealt with as sorts of negative commodities with a few pills to balance them on the other side as simple demand and supply, rather than in a more human interactive way.

However the concept of going to a stranger, or someone anonymous, isn't that foreign of an idea. Confession strikes me a similar sort of interaction,in fact I think a spiritual advisory, might be a good intermediary step between asking friends and family for advice, and going to a doctor of some sort.

Wed Feb 27, 04:18:00 PM  
Blogger greymom said...

I really like Dan's answer. My children think so well....(you too Phil)

Wed Feb 27, 06:24:00 PM  
Blogger mags said...

FINE, you can cry on my freaking shoulder already...

Men are SO needy.

Fri Feb 29, 02:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger