16.11.07

Cars and Craziness and Craigslist

Whew! I just bought my brother Matt's girlfriend's car because she's leaving for spain and it has a heater core that works and will last the winter.

And then I thought, "Shoot. I got to do something with my car because we don't have room for it in the driveway." So I put it on craigslist, here's the ad:

"1996 VW Jetta in running condition (I drive it every day), 5 spd, just had the clutch replaced last year, I think it needs new brake pads (they started grinding a little last week), one of the brakelights are out, trunk doesn't open, and the heater core has been by-passed. It's a california car and it doesn't have any rust. It drives fine and is good on gas, I'm just not mechanically savvy and can't handle another WI winter without heat. I'm looking for around $700, but open to offers. "

So then within half an hour I had 20 people interested, within and hour 35, and 5 were willing to come get it tonight and pay in cash.

So then I thought, "Shoot. I think I may have way underpriced my car." So I changed the listing to $1500. But at this point I'd already been in contact with the 5, and one of them in particular was this young married guy with two little kids desperate to get a car so he can get back and forth to work and not lose his job. He'd tried for 5 different cars in the last two weeks and all of them had backed out at the last minute for a higher offer. And I'd said I'd sell it to him before I realized I could get more. I thought I was lucky to get $700. But then after that, I had a number of people interested in it for $1500.

So I call this guy back and tell him about it. I tell him I hadn't realized what the bluebook price is and subtract all the expenses and then that I have this offer. He's sad and tells me if I should do what I have to do because he can't match that. So I tell him, "Look, I want to sell this car to you. I know you need it. Can you meet me at a more fair price for it?" He says all he can afford is $900. And I've agreed to it.

Now I'm waiting for him to come. I feel a little, no, A LOT, like an idiot given that I have NO money and I could probably get the $1500 if I held out... and $1500 happens to be the magic # for what I need to be able to go back to school next semester. Then I think about his adorable little girls crying and calling "Daddy" in the background. And I think about how hard it is for him to support his family and get to work without transportation. And I think about all the times when the donation basket was passed to me in church and I didn't put anything into it. And yeah. So I've decided to sell it for 40% less. I cringe writing that percentage. The salesperson in me rages and breaks things.

But I think it's the right thing to do. Time to trust God.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kay Pea said...

your place is heaven is secured. i'm proud of you mags.

Sat Nov 17, 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Lagartija said...

Maggie, you're a rock star. I think it's pregnancy hormones, but I'm almost tearing up thinking that could be Barbara and Jimmy in another life. (Maybe this one but let's hope not!)

Sat Nov 17, 04:29:00 PM  
Blogger LMO said...

smooth work. seriously awesome of you. Me proud too. :)

Sun Nov 18, 04:48:00 PM  
Blogger Matt G said...

Maggie, I am so excited for you to have heat in your car. I used to see you drive off in your car in the dead of winter and I thought of the frontiersman pushing into the icy north country of Wisconsin in their covered wagons. Then I would see you in my minds eye, experienced veteran of enduring the cold outlasting all those leathery adventurers and eating their flesh to survive....

Tue Nov 20, 09:07:00 PM  
Blogger mags said...

Oh Matt, you charmer, you!!

Tue Nov 20, 09:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger