18.11.06

drinking dilemmas

Man, I love drinking. I can be such a happy drunk. Friday night was great. I went out with my two brothers closest in age, an old friend Molly who just moved back into town, and Dan the Climber Man and his buddy Josh (both of whom attended the OCMS concert with Matt and I last friday). There was some rockin' group dynamics, it was hysterical. After the bars kicked us out we came back to our place ta drink some more, eat some pizza and play taboo. So much laughing! Wow, how I've missed laughing.

Buuuuut, with fun always come bleh. Dan and Josh didn't look good to drive, so they rode back with someone else to our place and crashed at my place. And we were having a lot of fun. So we ended up not getting to bed until around 5:30am or so, and then I had to wake up at 8am to drive them back to the bar for their car. Which was fine, and what I was expecting when I offered it. But here's the thing... between hangovers and minimal sleep, I require a good 12+ hours to recover and my days typically never go well after a night of drinking. And today at work clearly manifested that.

So whaddaya do? Quit partying? How dismal. Party less? How impossibly hard and party-pooperish to do. Sigh. And rumor has it, it only gets worse as you get older. Oh well.


As an illustration, I offer today's Car Rental Tragedy of the Day. A cripple came in to pick up his car and apparently Expedia (who booked his reservation) totally dropped the ball (again) and failed to mention he needed hand controls to be installed for him to operate the vehicle. We didn't have any cars with hand controls available, neither did the fleets in Chicago or Madison, or any of the other agencies in the airport. So he was stranded SOL and facing a $675 total cab fare cuz his hotel and the stadium in Green Bay (he was headed to the Packer game and had this trip planned out months in advance) are so far away. I was seriously considering driving him there myself, but between not having a functioning heater core and my recent car troubles it seemed imprudent. But then right after he left the counter it dawned on me that my managers might be able to authorize my use of a rental car on my own time to do it. So after a 10 min call in which I persuaded them into letting me do it, I tried to call his cell phone: his phone battery had died and there was no way to get a hold of him. Right. So I paged him on the airport intercom, but no go. Turns out he got a cab right away and I missed him. What a sucky-slow-thinking good samaritan I make. Sigh. I tried.

...But if only I hadn't gotten so smashed the night before and my mind was more alert to think of these things. Fancy that. There'd be one less down-trodden cripple in the world for a moment.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger