30.7.06

A bit of a revelation (for me)

One of the reasons that I like fiction so much (besides the one Maggie mentioned at the end of her last post) is that it's the perfect marriage between events and ideas. It's so human that way. In my life, the events-actions-physical-animal side is rarely if ever as closely connected to the thoughts-ideas-mental-spiritual side as it is in a good work of fiction. Stuff happens and I can't figure out why and it all seems so irrational. Then I think about stuff and reason and figure things out when I'm not doing anything. (I'm not saying I can't think and chew gum at the same time. But there's never really enough time while things are actually happening.)
In fiction, everything has a reason. It all makes sense. Events are actually connected with ideas. I don't know how well I'm expressing this idea that seems pretty cool to me (and definitely goes further toward explaining why I love my books so much) but you can be the judge of that because I really need to be asleep an hour ago.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger