31.7.06

My Response to Phil Regarding Fiction

First you say that fiction is so human because it is the perfect marriage of events and ideas. But then you follow it up with, but in my life events and ideas do not match up in this way? It's a nifty thought, but I think I see it very differently.

I'd be prone to draw the complete reverse conclusion: that fiction is inhuman insofar as you're allowed the clarity to see the union between events and ideas.

It seems to me that that one of the greatest human struggle is that you can't always see in what way things are related, how ideas are active and the motive force behind an events occurence. What fiction does is shows you the grander scheme, the godlike view surrounding events that allows you to see the purpose intended and ideas at play. If anything its appeal is that it tugs at our vanity and makes us feel greater.

Rebuttal?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

PHIL
match

 

"Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole day long? From morn to night my friend."
--Christina Rossetti

Powered by Blogger